Online I go by @MikeRogers0, normally I have a fairly dull setup which is a pretty enjoyable way to work.
- Here is what I'm aiming to cover
- The idea of this talk is give you an idea of the use cases where it's useful, what it's best for
- But also where it's not the best choice.
We didn't have many options.
Single Page Applications were out there, but in their infancy, along with understanding of progressive enhancement.
The end result was lots of spaghetti code.
React & Vue took off, they solved a lot of problems.
But they also added an additional moving part of our apps we could potentially avoid.
Not to mention added some new problems HTML kind of solved.
- Basecamp wanted that "fluid interfaces set free from the full-page refresh" you can get with SPA
- Stimulus came about because they could achieve that with Turbolinks + some organised JS
Then it was added to Rails.
Controllers have names often linked to their file names,
so normally it's pretty easy to be like "Ok I'm looking at this in the HTML, let's find the file"
Targets: You can follow the breadcrumb hints as to what might end up being used for something.
Actions: Again, you can follow the breadcrumbs & it's easy.
>> Click the button on this one <<
Lots of places, I had lots of wins replacing jQuery on old rails app with it.